Below are resources related to the “Ainu of Japan” chapter of Native Nations: The Survival of Indigenous Peoples, 3rd Edition, edited by Sharlotte Neely and Douglas W. Hume.
Agencies & Organizations
- What are the many criteria that have been used to define who is an Ainu?
- Why do estimates of the number of Ainu vary?
- What actions of the government could increase or decrease the official number of Ainu?
- Jeffry Gayman, Jeffry. 2011. “Ainu Right to Education and Ainu Practice of ‘Education.’” Intercultural Education 22 (1): 15-27. https://doi.org/10.1080/14675986.2011.549642
- Walker, Brett L. 2006. The Conquest of Ainu Lands. University of California Press.
Contemporary Ainu People
To recommend additional resources for this site, please contact the editor.